Did you know that your body is made up of approx. 75% water? You are not just what you eat, but also what you drink. The amount and quality of water you intake can have a profound impact on your health.
HOW MUCH WATER SHOULD YOU DRINK?
The answer to this question depends on several factors such as our bio-individuality and lifestyle choices. In general women should consume approx. 2.2 L/day and men approx. 3 L per day. The following is a list of situations when you should be increasing the amount of water you drink:
- In hot or humid temperatures
- While hiking to high altitudes (above 8,200 feet)
- During exercise
- When enjoying a sauna, steam room or hot yoga class
- When experiencing an illness such as diarrhea, vomiting or high fever
- When pregnant and/or breast feeding
- When consuming alcohol and/or coffee
WHEN SHOULD I DRINK WATER?
The time and amount of water you drink can also have a significant impact on how you feel. Here are some tips for getting the most out of drinking water:
- Your body is most acidic upon rising so drinking a large quantity of water (1 L or more) immediately after waking up is one of the best ways to detox.
- Add lemon to your water especially in the morning to help eliminate toxins accumulated during sleep
- Drink mostly room temperature water; your body uses a large amount of energy to cool down or warm up water
- Sipping warm water every 10-15 minutes helps to activate your lymphatic system and thus detoxing your body. This is a great strategy to use as part of a cleansing program
- Drink water at least 20 minutes before or after meals so as to not dilute the enzymes necessary to break down food
- Do not wait to feel thirsty before you drink water; by then your body is already in a high state of dehydration
- Make water drinking a habit; buy an environmentally safe water bottle and carry with you everywhere; it takes a bit of time to build a new habit, but before you know it you will make this an integral part of your healthy lifestyle and your body will thank you.
TYPES OF WATER – BENEFITS & CONCERNS
Tap water is the most readily available but may not be the safest option. Every city can have a different purification system, and while some are great, there are also many that can leave traces of bacteria, lead or chlorination by-products.
Nowadays there are thousands of filters out there, each one promising the best and cleanest water. Some ionize, some alkalize, some eliminate a wide range of toxins and others demineralize and remineralize your water. So what is one to do? If you are truly interested in getting a water filtration system, then make sure you do your homework. Recent research points towards the benefits of using Kengan water and while consumer reports are promising, I personally believe in one thing: stick with water that is as close as possible to the way nature intended it.
While distilled water has many applications, many believe it is not the best option for everyday use due to the lack of minerals. Distilled water is also more acidic than other types of water and therefore caution must be exercised if it is intended to be used long term.
Mineral water has been used for centuries as part of people’s hydration routine. It s believed that its mineral content has tremendous health benefits. There are thousands of kinds of mineral waters out there. If you enjoy this type, stick with natural mineral water (direct from the source and unaltered), ensure you vary your selection as each type has a different mineral component and use sporadically.
In choosing the right type of water you want to aim for pH balance. The ideal pH of your water should be approx. 7.3, which is neutral. Natural mountain spring water is in this ideal range. It is some of the healthiest water on the planet because it is “living water”. It is in its raw, natural state the way nature intended. Remember to always purchase and store in glass bottles to avoid possible contamination from plastic materials.
Here are a few of the many health benefits you and your family will enjoy once you make the switch to pure spring water:
- Healthy body weight
- Proper digestion and nutrient absorption
- Healthy, glowing skin
- Better sleep
- Reduced inflammation and toxicity
- Better circulation
- More energy
Choose Healthy! Choose Happy! And live always as the best version of yourself.